SPRING CLEANING FOR SELLERS
One of the most challenging things for homeowners to do is to honestly evaluate the current state of their home. We want to look at our house they way we feel… that it’s “home”. We become accustomed to the stain on the carpet, a scuff mark on the wall, a torn window screen… But when we’re getting to the point where we’d like to sell our house, it is vital that we look at it through the eyes of a buyer. If you’re like most people, then you’re thinking spring is the optimum time to sell. Here are some things you can be doing to help improve the chance that your home will stand out among all of the other listings this spring.
Make a List – One of the easiest ways to prep your home to sell is to simply identify your to-do’s!
- What’s broken?
- What looks dirty?
- What projects can I take on that will improve my home’s value?
- Are there mechanical things that aren’t properly functioning?
- Are there small water leaks that I’ve done nothing about?
- Is there clutter?
Make Repairs Now.
- Save yourself a hassle while trying to sell & fix the most noticeable problems
- Talk with a real estate professional for help prioritizing any issues you might have
- Hire a handyman or contractor to help with the bigger areas
- Something as simple as a coat of paint can be a game changer – choose to paint rooms in your house that are the least attractive
- Neutral colors are best, but sometimes a bold accent wall is appealing if you pick the right color for that room
Look at doing projects that can give you a BIG return
- Major renovating doesn’t always get you the money back, so choose to do updates that make an impact!
- Re-grout the tile
- Put in a new backsplash or countertop
- Add space where it doesn’t exist – refinish the basement, create more storage, etc
- Consider putting in a new front door
Check for cracks.
- Check your foundation and any structural areas
Enhance the outdoors – but while you’re at it, enhance the indoors (with outside elements)!
- Mow diagonally and edge the lawn along your driveway and sidewalks (diagonally mowed lawns make yards appear longer)
- Use the right flowers to your advantage
- Yellow flowers stimulate buying urges
- Tulips and daffodils induce feelings of contentment
- Set out natural smelling scents, like fresh-cut lilacs or peonies
- Arrange containers in groups of 3 or 5 near the home’s entrance
Open up your house.
- Open your windows
- Let the sun shine in
- Let in fresh air
- Spring is a great time to enjoy the weather and allow it to accentuate the positives of your house