OUTDOOR SPRING CLEANING
The sun is out and the weather is starting to warm up in St. Louis! All of your neighbors are starting to cut their grass, which just means you’ve got more to do now! Our team knows this is the busiest time of year with home maintenance and we’ve compiled short lists of outdoor spring cleaning to-do’s to make sure you’ve got everything covered.
The Lawn – one of the easiest ways to spruce up the look of your home is to ensure your lawn is in great shape!
- Pick up any litter – remember to check underneath trees & bushes as well
- Gently rake your lawn to remove dead grass and perk up new grass
- Water & air need to reach the roots of your grass to encourage spring growth. Consider hiring an aeration service!
- Use sprinklers – water your lawn and if you have a sprinkler system, check the condition of it to make sure it’s working optimally
- Fertilize – A boost of nutrients to your lawn can provide healthy growth for your grass
- Do your weeding early! It’s much easier to remove weeds when the soil is moist from spring rainfalls
- Uncover plants
- Prune your trees and bushes
- Treat your flower & garden areas for insects
- Rake existing mulch to freshen it up or lay down new mulch
The Exterior of the House
- Wash your windows and screens – replace any screens that have tears or holes in them
- Pressure wash siding – start from the highest point and work your way downward
- Clean out those dreaded rain gutters so nothing is clogged when all the spring rain falls
- Clean out birdhouses and feeders
- Clean, repair or re-paint your fence as needed
- Clean your doghouse or pen
- Check that your mailbox is secure
- Clean out the garage – giving more space for summer equipment
- Have a yard sale! This is a great time of year to clear out space and get rid of items you don’t use
The Deck or Patio
- If you have a wood deck, inspect for areas that need repairs – scrubbing the wood with oxalic acid will help kill microbes, then re-stain if necessary
- If you have a concrete patio, inspect for cracks that need repaired and wash off dirt and stains
- Check your grill to make sure it’s working properly – Clean the handles, knobs and grates
- Check all exterior lighting fixtures – change bulbs, remove insects/nests & wipe down so lights will shine brightly
- Wipe down your patio furniture – put out your cushions and start enjoying your outdoor space!