WHAT HOME BUYERS NEED TO LOOK FOR DURING SPRING
We’ve all been there… that moment we walk into another person’s house and think WOW… I’d love to own a house like this! We get caught up in aesthetics, get excited and consider putting in an offer on it. BUT, WAIT. We know you don’t want to wait, because as far as you know, there are 5 other offers and you don’t want to miss out on the chance of owning that home. TRUST US. It’s worth doing a few things to ensure your dream home won’t turn into a nightmare.
- Pay for an inspection
- Ask when the roof was replaced (perhaps even check the roof)
- Check the drainage and how it’s routed so can landscape appropriately
- Check the windows to make sure they are dual paned – updating windows for an entire house is expensive
- Pay special attention to thresholds on doors so you can determine how well the cold air stays out/warm air stays in
- Test the heater – make sure it’s up to the recommended BTUs
- Ask if there’s been any flooding and if it happens often
- Ask if the house is in a flood or earthquake zone
- Look for loose or faulty wiring and make sure all outlets work
- Look for signs of leaking (loose tiles, water stains, flaking paint or wallpaper) – Inspect all ceilings closely
- Test the fireplace to make sure it is safely functional
and most importantly…
GET PRE-APPROVED BY A MORTGAGE LENDER!
- Research the different loan products and terms available and what might be best for you
- Choose a lender who is focused on YOUR needs
- Establish your limits – use a mortgage calculator and consult a loan officer on how much house you can afford
- Becoming pre-approved allows you to be taken more seriously by sellers
To start the pre-approval process with our team, click here.